A CTO's Responsibilities
The Three Main Categories of CTOs
Dimensions of CTO Activity
Example for a CTO Job Description / Job Ad
<Describe the company in compelling terms>
- Build and lead a product and engineering team from scratch, including hiring, defining the necessary organizational structure and management processes.
- Define and implement a product and engineering culture that thrives on rapid iteration, tangible innovation and high quality – leading by example.
- Based on the overall product vision and value proposition, identify the most effective technological strategy and path to implementation.
- Define and prioritize product initiatives along the product roadmap. Work with product management and engineering to execute efficient implementation.
- Collaborate with external and internal customers to gain input on product requirements and evolving customer needs.
- Communicate and evangelize the product value proposition, technology strategy and roadmap to external and internal stakeholders.
- Master's degree in computer science, information management, MIS (Wirtschaftsinformatik) or similar fields
- Alternatively, similar degree in a closely related field
- At least five years of experience as a software engineer or in a similiar code-producing role, ideally with full-stack skills
- Two or more years of experience in managing a technical team (ideally combination of developers, engineers, product managers, designers)
- Two or more years of experience guiding the technology strategy and development roadmap of a company, major corporate department or major development project (Experience can be in parallel, for example as an engineering manager who still wrote some code)
- Optional: Industry experience in the <industry> field
- Optional: Experience as a product manager
- Optional: Experience in a high-growth startup environment
- First-hand familiarity with cloud computing environments and highly scalable data storage infrastructure.
- Practical experience running a mission-critical 24/7 available web-based system with the necessary devops infrastructure, system monitoring infrastructure and backup facilities.
- First-hand experience with agile development methodologies and the necessary tools
- Familiarity with roadmap planning
- Optional: Practical experience with machine learning algorithms and applications
- Optional: Experience in data analysis and data science concepts
Other Skills and Personality Traits
- Self-starter with demonstrated entrepreneurial spirit in a startup or dynamic corporate environment
- Proven presentation and writing skills to effectively communicate technical concepts and strategies to a diverse audience
- Skilled at hiring and developing technical people
What we have to offer
<Make a compelling pitch about the company, culture, role, and perks>